Although many states in America are considered "at will," meaning companies can hire and fire employees at any time, great care is still needed when terminating employment so that other rights such as FMLA, ADAAA, or Title VII are not violated. The following items should be done when conducting the termination meeting.
- Contact your HR Consultant at Nextep for advice before conducting the termination. We will walk through potential issues, ensure that legal rights are not violated, and offer advisement on handling specific situations.
- Leading up to the termination, use progressive discipline and written documentation. Terminations for cause should never be a surprise.
- Have a good, documented business reason for terminating this employee.
- Be respectful but firm during the termination meeting. Remember, chances for improvement should have happened during the progressive discipline phase.
- Let Nextep know immediately once the employee is terminated so that we can assist in issuing the final paycheck and COBRA or state continuation notice (if applicable) timely.
Contact Nextep's HR Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-811-5150 for assistance.