First impressions are important not only to clients, but also to ensure the longevity of a new employee. An HR World article details 7 steps you can take to create a successful first day for your new hire.
- Greet your new employee on time.
- Have a workspace assigned and ready for the employee with any necessary supplies, such as a computer, company email address, pens, notepad, and telephone.
- Encourage coworkers to introduce themselves to the new employee.
- Provide basic information, such as a tour of the facilities and brief description of the employee's role.
- Get the employee connected. Furnish a full phone extension and email list to the employee and assign him or her to a veteran worker who can provide training or serve as a point of contact for questions.
- Invite the employee to lunch.
- Get feedback from the employee to ensure the first day is going smoothly and any questions are answered.
Source: HR World, "7 Things to Do on an Employee's First Day" by Brittany Maling