U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has issued a new M-274 handbook for the I-9 form for employers, offering updated guidance in completing and maintaining I-9 forms.
Included in the changes:
- Expanded explanation of E-verify for certain federal contractors and subcontractors
- Expanded instructions on electronically storing the I-9 form
- Special instructions on I-9 reverification once documents have expired
- Do not reverify an expired U.S. passport or passport card, an Alien Registration Receipt Card or Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551), or a List B document that has expired.
- You must reverify an employee's employment authorization (from list A or C) no later than the date employment authorization expires.
Additionally, the Employment Compliance Inspection Center has announced increased I-9 audits in 2011. To review the latest guidance on completing the I-9 form, please visit the USCIS M-274 handbook for employers.
For individual assistance in correctly completing the I-9, please contact Nextep's HR Department at email@example.com 888-811-5150.