New managers may sometimes have trouble assimilating to their positions. These represent some of the common mistakes managers should avoid.
- Thinking s/he knows everything; not asking for input from other employees.
- Focusing on showing everyone who’s in charge rather than on making a positive difference.
- Changing everything.
- Being too afraid to change anything.
- Not taking the time to really know the people who work for him or her.
- Ignoring the manager’s boss.
- Avoiding problem employees or situations.
- Not allowing him or herself to be human enough to laugh or make mistakes.
- Not protecting the employees from blame, getting all the bad assignments, lower pay, etc.
- Avoiding responsibilities; blaming failures on the group rather than him or herself.