Having a solid harassment policy established is a great key in the prevention of harassment incidents and claims. Include these guidelines when carrying out your policy or investigating allegations of harassment:
- Multiple Paths: Have more than one avenue employees can take for complaints. For example, employees can go to any supervisor or Nextep's HR department.
- Communicate: Make sure the policy is clearly communicated to all employees. Nextep recommends annual company-wide training.
- Don't retaliate: It is illegal for employers to retaliate against those who file or act as witnesses in harassment claims.
- Follow through: Employers should investigate claims of harassment immediately and wrap it up as promptly as possible. Let both parties know the results and outcome.
- As much confidentiality as possible: Other parties are often involved and have to be brought into the investigation, which makes complete confidentiality impossible.
- Document: As with all employee issues, keep complete written documentation of the investigation. State only the facts and not personal opinion.
Above all, contact Nextep's HR Department any time you receive an allegation of harassment. Nextep's HR Professionals are highly trained in handling harassment investigations and can walk you through every step.